March 4, 2008 / 10:40 PM / 12 years ago

Fenerbahce beat Sevilla on penalties to progress

SEVILLE, Spain (Reuters) - Fenerbahce beat Sevilla 3-2 on penalties to make the Champions League quarter-finals for the first time after drawing 5-5 on aggregate on Tuesday.

Fenerbahce's players celebrate after winning against Sevilla during their Champions League first knockout round, second leg match at Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan stadium in Seville March 4, 2008. REUTERS/Marcelo del Pozo

Goalkeeper Volkan Demirel saved three spot kicks to send the Turks through after Zico’s side had survived a dreadful start at the Sanchez Pizjuan.

Sevilla, who had lost 3-2 in the first leg, stormed into a two-goal lead inside nine minutes with goals from Daniel Alves and Seydou Keita.

Fenerbahce pulled one back through Deivid midway through the first half only for Sevilla to strike again just before the break when Frederic Kanoute restored the two-goal cushion.

Deivid scored again in the 79th to force extra-time, but penalties were needed to separate the sides.

“It’s a bitter blow because we failed to kill off the game when we were 2-0 up,” Sevilla coach Manolo Jimenez said.

“They were two great teams who scored five goals apiece and once it went to penalties anything could have happened. I wish Fenerbahce all the best.”


Sevilla had Fenerbahce penned back from the outset and took the lead after only five minutes when the visitors conceded a free kick 25 metres out.

Brazil full back Alves powered a swerving shot goalwards and although Volkan appeared well placed to block, he could only push it inside the post.

The Turks were still reeling four minutes later when Mali’s Keita drove forward in midfield to unleash another thunderbolt from all of 30 metres which flew into the top of the net with Volkan flapping once again.

Fenerbahce won their first corner after 20 minutes. It was taken low to unmarked Brazilian forward Deivid on the edge of the area and he was able to drill a low shot through a crowded area.

The visitors were in the ascendancy when Alves chipped a ball into Kanoute in the 41st minute, and after controlling on his chest the lanky Mali striker turned to fire a deflected shot into the corner.

Fenerbahce responded quickly, laying siege to the Sevilla goal, threatening at every set piece, and Edu had a shot cleared off the line at the end of a breathless first half.

Slideshow (13 Images)

The home side were content to play on the break after the restart and held out until 11 minutes from time when their defence was exposed again from a dead-ball situation.

A free kick to the far post found Deivid in space and after his first shot hit the post, he had time to score from the rebound to send the game into extra time.

Sevilla dominated the last few minutes but were unable to avoid the game going to penalties, where Volkan made up for his earlier errors denying Julien Escude, Enzo Maresca and finally captain Alves.

Writing by Mark Elkington in Madrid, editing by Rex Gowar

0 : 0
  • narrow-browser-and-phone
  • medium-browser-and-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser
  • wide-browser-and-larger
  • medium-browser-and-landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser-and-larger
  • above-phone
  • portrait-tablet-and-above
  • above-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet-and-above
  • landscape-tablet-and-medium-wide-browser
  • portrait-tablet-and-below
  • landscape-tablet-and-below