(Reuters) - Bournemouth striker Callum Wilson can earn selection to the England squad for the 2018 World Cup if he continues his blistering form, manager Eddie Howe has said ahead of Saturday’s Premier League match against Swansea City.
Wilson returned from a serious knee injury last month and scored a hat-trick in his second league start as Bournemouth thumped Huddersfield Town 4-0 on Saturday to move up to 13th in the standings.
“Callum would want me to champion his cause, of course, but I am just happy for him that he is looking so good and scoring goals in our team,” Howe told the Daily Echo.
“That’s what happens at this level — you have a game where you do well and, suddenly, you are talked about with England.
“I would love all my players who represent their countries to go to the World Cup. If Callum carries on the type of form he showed against Huddersfield and Newcastle then it is in his hands.”
The 25-year-old has played one game under England manager Gareth Southgate, a 2014 friendly for the under-21 side, and is yet to make his senior international debut.
Howe believes that Wilson has more to offer after returning from almost nine months on the sidelines.
“It is not the end of the road for Callum and, in my opinion, he still has a path to go down to get back to his best,” Howe added. “It is the same with any player who suffers a long-term injury but certainly the signs are good..
“I know he was very much on England’s radar before he got injured the first time and rightly so... He will be chomping at the bit because he is that kind of guy. He wants more, he wants to achieve and he is not here to make up the numbers.”
Reporting by Aditi Prakash in Bengaluru