LONDON (Reuters) - The FA said on Tuesday it will investigate allegations that Middlesbrough’s Egyptian striker Mido was abused by Newcastle United fans during Sunday’s Premier League game.
Mido, who joined Middlesbrough from Tottenham Hotspur for 6.0 million pounds earlier this month, scored his second goal in two matches for his new club, who drew 2-2 with their northeast rivals. He also scored on his debut for Middlesbrough against Fulham on August 18.
An FA spokesman said: “We will certainly be looking into it,” adding that both clubs will be asked for their views on the matter.
“We will also look at the quotes from the player and take it from there,” the spokesman added.
Mido said after the game: “Maybe some of them were drunk or something. I heard it, it was very clear and I understood what they were saying. The chants made me want to score more goals. I was delighted to score and I wanted another.”
Mido was booked by referee Mike Dean for celebrating his goal in front of the Newcastle fans.
Middlesbrough manager Gareth Southgate said: “I find it strange that 3,000 people can insult someone and nothing is done. On the other hand, when the boot is on the other foot, it gets him into trouble. In terms of civil liberties I find that strange.”