Reuters logo
Southampton say skipper Fonte has asked for transfer
January 5, 2017 / 5:09 PM / a year ago

Southampton say skipper Fonte has asked for transfer

(Reuters) - Southampton captain Jose Fonte has asked for a transfer after repeatedly rejecting improved contract terms, the Premier League side’s director of football Les Reed said.

Southampton's Jose Fonte during the warm up before the match Action Images via Reuters / Paul Childs

“He’s made it very clear he would like to explore the opportunities for a transfer. That’s where we are at the moment, Jose wants to leave the club. He’s formally asked for a transfer,” Reed told the BBC.

“He’s had several opportunities to improve the contract situation. He’s reserved his right not to do that,” Reed said, adding that Southampton had not received a formal bid for the player.

Fonte, however, said last month that he had not been offered a new contract.

“Just to set the record straight I did not reject a new contract. In fact, I have been informed by Southampton that they are not offering me a new contract,” the defender said then in a post on his Instagram account.

Fonte, 33, joined from Crystal Palace in 2010 and has made 288 appearances for Southampton. He was strongly linked with a move to Manchester United during the close season after helping Portugal to win the European Championship.

Reporting by Shravanth Vijayakumar in Bengaluru; Editing by Clare Fallon

0 : 0
  • narrow-browser-and-phone
  • medium-browser-and-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser
  • wide-browser-and-larger
  • medium-browser-and-landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser-and-larger
  • above-phone
  • portrait-tablet-and-above
  • above-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet-and-above
  • landscape-tablet-and-medium-wide-browser
  • portrait-tablet-and-below
  • landscape-tablet-and-below