July 5, 2018 / 5:11 PM / 11 days ago

West Ham's former director of recruitment Tony Henry banned for 12 months - FA

(Reuters) - West Ham United’s former director of player recruitment Tony Henry has been suspended from all football related activity for 12 months after admitting to a misconduct charge, the English Football Association (FA) said on Thursday.

According to a report in the Daily Mail newspaper earlier this year, Henry said the club wanted to limit the number of African players in their squad as “they have a bad attitude” and “cause mayhem” when they are not in the team.

Henry was sacked by West Ham in February before the FA began disciplinary proceedings over allegations of racial discrimination. [nL8N1PS64O]

“Tony Henry has been suspended from all football and football-related activity for 12 months and must attend an FA education course,” the FA said in a statement.

“Mr Henry admitted a misconduct charge in relation to comments he made that were improper and/or insulting and/or abusive and included reference to ethnic origin and/or colour and/or race and/or nationality.”

Henry was not immediately reachable for comment.

He joined West Ham in 2014, having previously worked for Everton, Sunderland and Chelsea.

Reporting by Hardik Vyas in Bengaluru; Editing by Hugh Lawson

0 : 0
  • narrow-browser-and-phone
  • medium-browser-and-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser
  • wide-browser-and-larger
  • medium-browser-and-landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser-and-larger
  • above-phone
  • portrait-tablet-and-above
  • above-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet-and-above
  • landscape-tablet-and-medium-wide-browser
  • portrait-tablet-and-below
  • landscape-tablet-and-below