MILAN (Reuters) - AC Milan do not want to increase their offer to sign David Beckham permanently from Los Angeles Galaxy, club chief executive Adriano Galliani has said.
The England midfielder has been impressive during a two-month loan at the San Siro and Milan made an initial offer to keep him full-time earlier this month. Galaxy rejected the bid, which media reports have put between $3 million (2.1 million pounds) and $6.3 million.
The 33-year-old wants to stay with Milan and has a get-out clause in his Galaxy contract for the end of the next Major League Soccer season. Milan therefore do not see why they should pay more, with Galaxy hinting they want $12 million.
"I don't intend to cause controversy, I thank Galaxy for having let us have Beckham on loan in these months. I absolutely won't (increase the offer). I have the experience to know the price of a player," Galliani told Gazzetta dello Sport's website (www.gazzetta.it) on Saturday.
“Milan made an offer that was right for a ‘loan’ of around eight months because...on November 30 David can free himself from his contract for nothing,” Galliani said.
MLS originally said a deal had to be done by February 13 but Milan ignored the deadline and said last Friday could be the decisive day.
However, a Milan director’s trip to Los Angeles was cancelled on the request of Galaxy and the Serie A club instead began to hope that a deal could be concluded early this week.
If a compromise is found then Beckham is likely to be offered a Milan deal up to June 2010.
His current loan is until March 9 when Galaxy expect him back for the start of the new MLS season. However, technically the loan is until June meaning a deal can take place outside of the January transfer window.
Given the impasse in negotiations, media reports have begun to speculate that Beckham will go back to Galaxy for a few months before returning to Italy.
He said recently it would be difficult for him to go back.
Reporting by Mark Meadows, editing by Alison Wildey