MOSCOW (Reuters) - Former FIFA boss Sepp Blatter, who is serving a six-year ban from soccer, said on Wednesday he had not been involved in any footballing activities during a visit to Russia.
Speaking in an interview with Britain’s Channel 4 News, Blatter said he was in Russia - where he attended a World Cup match at Moscow’s Luzhniki stadium earlier in the day - as a guest of the tournament’s local organising committee.
He said he did not believe his presence should be an embarrassment to FIFA’s new leadership. He said a meeting with Russian President Vladimir Putin during his stay had not yet been confirmed.
Blatter, who led FIFA for 17 years, was issued with the ban for unethical conduct after the organisation was rocked by a global corruption scandal in 2015.
Reporting by Maria Tsvetkova; Writing by Christian Lowe; editing by John Stonestreet