MOSCOW (Reuters) - Spain play hosts Russia in a World Cup last-16 match at Luzhniki Stadium on Sunday.
Where: Luzhniki Stadium, Moscow
When: Sunday July 1 , 1700 local (1400 GMT/1000 ET)
Referee: To be announced
* Spain took five points in Group B but finished top on goals scored, drawing 3-3 with Portugal, 2-2 with Morocco and beating Iran 1-0.
* Russia were runners-up in Group A, beginning with a bang by beating Saudi Arabia 5-0 and Egypt 3-1 but losing 3-0 to group winners Uruguay.
* Russia’s top scorer in the tournament is Denis Cheryshev on three strikes, the same number of goals as Spain’s leading marksman Diego Costa
* Russia covered more distance than any other team in the first two rounds of games, running a combined 118km against Saudi Arabia and 115km against Egypt, although they dropped their intensity against Uruguay, when they had a man sent off in the first half and could only cover 98km.
* Russia are playing in the round of 16 at a World Cup for the first time since the collapse of the Soviet Union. The Soviet Union’s best finish was reaching the 1966 semi-finals.
* Spain won a first World Cup in 2010, before then they had never got beyond the quarter-finals.
* Spain are unbeaten in 23 games, their last defeat coming when they lost 2-0 to Italy in the round of 16 in Euro 2016.
* The winners face Croatia or Denmark in the quarter-finals.
Previous meetings: Russia have failed to beat Spain in any of their six games, with the Spaniards winning four times and two matches ending in a draw. Their last meeting was an entertaining 3-3 draw in a friendly last November, while the last competitive match was in the semi-finals of Euro 2008, which Spain won 3-0.
Reporting by Richard Martin