NIZNHY NOVGOROD (Reuters) - Switzerland play Costa Rica in a Group E game at the World Cup on Wednesday.
Where: Nizhny Novgorod Stadium, Nizhny Novgorod
When: Wednesday, June 27, 2100 local (1800 GMT/2 PM ET)
Referee: To be announced
* Costa Rica are already eliminated
* A draw will take Switzerland through whatever the result of the match between Brazil and Serbia.
* Switzerland will go through with a defeat if Serbia lose to Brazil.
* Granit Xhaka and Xherdan Shaqiri could be ruled out of the match if FIFA bans them for their goal celebrations in the 2-1 win over Serbia, when the players appeared to make a political gesture.
* Switzerland have lost only one of their last 24 matches.
* Switzerland also faced CONCACAF opponents at the last two World Cups. They drew 0-0 with Honduras in 2010 and beat the same opponents 3-0 in 2014.
* Costa Rica reached the quarter-finals at the last World Cup and did not lose a game, going out on penalties to the Netherlands. This time, they have lost their two opening games without scoring.
* Switzerland will face a team from Group F if they qualify - which could be any of Germany, Mexico, Sweden or South Korea.
MP W D L GF GA GD Pts
Brazil 2 1 1 0 3 1 2 4
Switzerland 2 1 1 0 3 2 1 4
Serbia 2 1 0 1 2 2 0 3
Costa Rica 2 0 0 2 0 3 -3 0
Previous meetings: The two sides have met twice before, both times in friendlies played in Switzerland.
Switzerland won 2-0 in 2006 and lost 1-0 four years later.
Writing by Brian Homewood; Editing by Tony Lawrence