SAN FRANCISCO The U.S. government is trying to force Facebook Inc to break the encryption in its popular Messenger app so law enforcement may listen to a suspect's voice conversations in a criminal probe, three people briefed on the case said, resurrecting the issue of whether companies can be compelled to alter their products to enable surveillance. | Video
LONDON Britain's top share index failed to rebound convincingly on Friday at the end of a turbulent week for markets during which an economic crisis in Turkey spread anxiety across global financials and mining stocks.
GENOA Italy's government on Friday launched a formal procedure aimed at revoking concessions held by Autostrade per l'Italia to operate toll highways after a bridge it managed collapsed this week, killing at least 38 people. | Video
UNITED NATIONS The protection of Palestinian civilians could be improved by the deployment of U.N.-mandated armed forces or unarmed observers, a beefed-up U.N. civilian presence or expanded U.N. assistance, Secretary-General Antonio Guterres wrote in a report on Friday.
BERLIN Russian President Vladimir Putin will meet German Chancellor Angela Merkel on Saturday for talks about the conflicts in Ukraine and Syria, as well as the Nord Stream 2 gas pipeline project that has drawn U.S. ire.
LONDON London's mayor Sadiq Khan said on Friday he had asked the organisation that deals with militant attacks and disasters in the British capital to assess the impact of a "no-deal" Brexit on access to medicines and food and on law and order.
WASHINGTON The U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation is investigating a cyber attack on the congressional campaign of a Democratic candidate in California, according to three people close to the campaign.
NEW YORK/WASHINGTON U.S. President Donald Trump asked securities regulators to explore replacing quarterly reporting requirements with half-yearly filings at the urging of executives including PepsiCo Chief Executive Indra Nooyi, reigniting a debate about how often companies should give financial updates to investors. | Video
Goldman Sachs Group Inc is facing a probe from U.K. regulators over its reporting practices tied to new rules in European markets, Bloomberg reported on Friday, citing people with knowledge of the matter.
WASHINGTON President Donald Trump faced an unprecedented outcry from former intelligence officials on Friday after stripping the security clearance of former CIA Director John Brennan, but Trump defended his move and said he planned another one soon. | Video
- Financial: Digital payment firms fight for Hong Kong market
- Technology: M&A lending to US blue-chip firms on summer hiatus
- Healthcare: PRESS DIGEST- Wall Street Journal - Aug 16
- Consumer: PRESS DIGEST- Canada-Aug 17
- Energy: Britain's 'Aramco' listing category attracts interest from a single firm
- Industrials: UPDATE 1-SEC pressing Tesla directors for details on communications with Musk - WSJ
- M&A: UK court issues asset freeze order against Russia's Vozrozhdenie Bank-law firm
- Bankruptcy: RPT-Dubai regulator probes Abraaj Capital, stops it from taking on new work
- IPOs: Orchard raises $150 mln to expand after GSK gene therapy deal
- Private Capital: Brazil card processor Stone hires banks for IPO -sources
- Hedge Funds: Hedge fund Man Group shares bounce after assets rise in first half