LONDON The British pound inched higher on Friday as the dollar fell across the board, and some traders saw a buying opportunity after data this week pointed to the UK economy holding up relatively well.
ISTANBUL Turkey's battered lira weakened 3 percent on Friday after a Turkish court rejected an American pastor's appeal for release, drawing a stiff rebuke from President Donald Trump, who said the United States would not take the detention "sitting down". | Video
CARACAS Venezuela's president Nicolas Maduro announced on Friday a single exchange rate pegged to his socialist government’s petro cryptocurrency, effectively devaluing by 96 percent in a move economists said would fan hyperinflation in the chaotic country.
NEW YORK The dollar fell against a basket of peers on Friday, retreating from a 13-month high hit earlier this week, on lower demand for the safe-haven greenback and some profit-taking, as worries about trade tensions between Washington and Beijing eased.
MOSCOW Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov on Friday played down a sharp fall in the ruble, saying there was a "certain volatility" in the market but that Russia's economic and financial systems were entirely stable.
- New car found in rubble of collapsed Genoa bridge - authorities
- Exclusive: U.S. government seeks Facebook help to wiretap Messenger - sources |
- U.N. chief suggests options for improved Palestinian protection
- Qatar accuses Saudis of barring haj pilgrims, Riyadh says untrue
- First a wedding, then hard work - Putin to visit Germany's Merkel
- Chinese President Xi to visit North Korea next month - Straits Times
- Iran says navy mounts new defence system on warship
- London mayor Khan consults disaster planners over no-deal Brexit
- Exclusive- FBI probing cyber attack on congressional campaign in California: sources
- Trump backs CEOs, proposes easing corporate reporting rules |