LONDON Sterling edged higher on Thursday, as traders awaited a Bank of England meeting that will be watched for signs of whether recent progress in Brexit talks and higher UK inflation could speed up the pace of future interest rate hikes.
LONDON Sterling slipped against the dollar on Thursday, with some traders disappointed the Bank of England stuck to its view that interest rates were likely to rise only gradually despite above-target inflation and progress in Brexit talks.
NEW YORK The U.S. dollar gained against the euro on Thursday after the European Central Bank raised growth and inflation forecasts for the euro area, but stuck with its pledge to provide stimulus for as long as needed.
BERN Virtual currencies like bitcoin present no risks to monetary policy although investors should be aware of the dangers from big price swings, Swiss National Bank Chairman Thomas Jordan said on Thursday.
LONDON Sterling edged higher on Wednesday ahead of the next day's Bank of England policy meeting, which will be closely watched for clues on the future path of UK monetary policy.
- Despite parliament defeat, May on course to deliver Brexit |
- Disney buying Fox film, TV units for $52 billion in digital push |
- ECB's Draghi sidelines critics to keep money taps wide open |
- Bank of England - disorderly Brexit risk reduced by EU talks progress
- UK retailers enjoy bumper Black Friday sales |
- Six months on, Grenfell fire survivors weep at London memorial |
- Financials weigh on FTSE as BoE holds rates
- Euro zone bond yields may be in for New Year shock as ECB cuts buying
- U.N. chief presses for release of arrested Reuters journalists in Myanmar |
- Putin says U.S. gripped by fabricated spymania, praises Trump |