J Sainsbury PLC (SBRY.L)
17 Jan 2018
Wed, Jan 10 2018
LONDON British supermarket group Sainsbury's cautioned on Wednesday that the market for general merchandise and clothing would be tough in 2018, taking the shine off a slight upgrade to its forecast for annual profit.
* General merchandise sales fall, clothing sales growth slows
* SHARES UP 1.7 PERCENT AFTER FIRM BEATS FORECASTS FOR CHRISTMAS TRADING, UPGRADES PROFIT OUTLOOK
LONDON, Jan 10 Sainsbury's, Britain's No. 2 supermarket group, reported a slight beat to forecasts for sales growth in its key Christmas quarter and said it was edging up its full-year profit guidance, helped by synergies from the Argos business.
(Adds table, quote) LONDON, Jan 9 Britain's biggest supermarket group Tesco was the best performer over Christmas, Kantar Worldpanel said on Tuesday, with a 3.1 percent rise in sales in the past 12 weeks beating its "big four" rivals Sainsbury's, Asda and Morrisons. Asda, owned by Walmart, increased sales by 2.2 percent in the period to Dec. 31, while 2.1 percent more came through the tills at Morrisons and Sainsbury's was up 2.0 percent, the research group said. But gro
LONDON British supermarket group Sainsbury's reported slower quarterly sales growth and a drop in first-half profit on Thursday, as weak consumer spending and intense competition took their toll.
* Shares fall as much as 3.7 pct; rivals also down (Adds detail, CEO comment, updates shares)
* Shares down 2.9 percent as Q2 underlying sales growth slows
LONDON, Nov 9 British supermarket Sainsbury's reported a 9 percent fall in first half profit on Thursday, a fourth straight decline, and a slowdown in quarterly sales growth as intense competition in the UK grocery market showed no sign of letting up.
LONDON, Nov 9 British supermarket Sainsbury's on Thursday reported a 9 percent fall in first half profit, a fourth straight decline, reflecting the inclusion of the seasonally loss-making Argos business in the results as well as rising costs.
- How safe is J Sainsbury plc’s dividend?
- Will this big retailer beat supermarket stocks after today's update?
- 3 stocks to help you retire early
- The new grocery price war could destroy the supermarkets
- Are J Sainsbury plc, BP plc and Standard Chartered plc contrarian corkers or doomed duds?
- Is the worst over for Tesco plc, J Sainsbury plc and WM Morrison Supermarkets plc?