WH Smith PLC (SMWH.L)
* H1 GROUP REVENUE GROWTH DECLINE OF 1 PERCENT VERSUS 2 PERCENT GROWTH A YEAR AGO
British books, newspaper and stationery retailer WH Smith Plc reported a 1 percent drop in interim pretax profit as its high street business continues to sag under pressure from broader softness in the UK retail market.
April 12 British books, newspaper and stationery retailer WH Smith Plc reported a 1 percent drop in interim pretax profit as its high street business continues to sag under pressure from broader softness in the UK retail market.
The head of British stationer WH Smith said the company had no plans to close any high street stores after a slowdown in sales weighed on its performance over the past 20 weeks.
* Joke wears thin for spoof humour books (Recasts with CEO quotes, adds details)
LONDON, Jan 24 Britain's top share index fell on Wednesday as sterling was pushed to a new post-Brexit-vote high by data that showed the number of people in work had surged unexpectedly.
Jan 24 WH Smith Plc, a seller of books, newspaper and stationery, reported that sales during the 20 weeks to Jan. 20 were flat compared with a year earlier as gains from its travel shops were offset by a cooling high street business.
* SALES FLAT YEAR ON YEAR AND LIKE-FOR-LIKE SALES DOWN 1% FOR 20 WEEK PERIOD
Earnings vs. Estimates
- Do today's updates make J Sainsbury plc, AO World plc and WH Smith plc a buy?
- Can Greggs plc, WH Smith plc & Moneysupermarket.com Group plc reverse this year's losses?
- Should You Buy AstraZeneca plc, WH Smith Plc & De La Rue plc Today?
- Should You Buy Last Week's Winners Pearson plc, Ocado Group PLC & WH Smith Plc?
- Should Income Investors Buy Severn Trent Plc, Anglo Pacific Group plc Or WH Smith Plc?
- Should You Avoid Ashmore Group plc And Buy Unilever plc And WH Smith Plc?