TOKYO The dollar steadied against a basket of currencies on Friday after hitting a 2-1/2-week high overnight as data pointed to a sturdy U.S. economy, while the euro was dented by weak manufacturing activity in Europe.
* Mobile firms up as Docomo unveils smaller-than-feared
* Nikkei climbs to its highest level since Dec. 4Speculative
buying pushes up N/T ratio to 2nd highest on record
* Investors wary of buying ahead of earnings season, 10-day
* Topix falls 0.1 pct; Nikkei up 0.6 pct thanks to Fast
* U.S.-China trade talks making progress: White House
* ISM services, ADP payrolls data highlight slowing U.S.
TOKYO Foreign activist investors who have long complained about Japanese companies' cash-hoarding and stingy payouts to shareholders may have found an unusual ally -- Japanese retail investors.
* Investors ponders implications of inverted U.S. yield
* US housing, consumer confidence data point to slowing