WASHINGTON Texas environment regulators should coordinate shutdowns of oil refineries and other petrochemical plants during major storms to avoid big releases of air pollution like during last year's Hurricane Harvey, a report said on Thursday.
- Japan must act to protect Fukushima clean-up workers: U.N. experts
- Judge orders Keystone XL pipeline review in setback for Trump
- Genome points to inbreeding, disease behind bumblebee decline: research |
- Scientists seek new ways to combat Florida's growing 'red tide'
- Thailand to ban imports of high-tech trash, plastic waste
Recent Environment News
SYDNEY The drought sweeping through large tracts of Australia is set to intensify over the next three months and is fuelling unseasonal winter bushfires, the leading meteorological agency and a fire official said on Thursday.
LOS ANGELES Storm clouds gathered over southern Oregon and northern California early on Wednesday, threatening to spark more wildfires with lightning strikes as emergency crews battled several deadly blazes, forecasters said.
SAO PAULO Brazil's Samarco Mineração SA expects to pay up to 2 billion reais ($512.5 million) this year to 19,000 families affected by the 2015 mining disaster in the state of Minas Gerais, the foundation created to pay the victims said on Wednesday.
KOCHI, India The death toll from the worst floods in nearly a century in the Indian tourist state of Kerala rose to 43 on Wednesday as rising water stranded tens of thousands of people and forced the closure of one of its main airports.