Hollywood fashion maven Mr. Blackwell in a coma
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Mr. Blackwell, the fashion maven whose annual "Worst-Dressed" list can be the bane of Hollywood celebrities, is in a coma after falling at his home, his partner and manager said on Thursday.
Richard Blackwell, 85, has been at Cedars-Sinai Medical Centre in Los Angeles since Saturday, Robert Spencer said.
The former actor and fashion designer was moving his hands and blinking on Thursday and seemed to be coming out of his coma, he said.
Blackwell has issued his "Worst-Dressed" list for 48 years, and it has become watched around the world as much for his quips about the stars' fashion as for who made the list.
Last year he named Spice Girl Victoria "Posh" Beckham the worst-dressed star and said: "in one skinny-mini monstrosity after another, pouty 'Posh' Beckham can really wreck-em."
In the No. 2 spot was soul singer Amy Winehouse and just behind was diminutive actress Mary-Kate Olsen who, he said, "resembles a tattered toothpick trapped in a hurricane."
For 35 years, Blackwell had his own clothing line. He also was a costume designer who worked with Hollywood stars such as Jayne Mansfield and Jane Russell.
(Reporting by Alex Dobuzinskis: Editing by Bob Tourtellotte and Xavier Briand)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Deadly gun attack in eastern Ukraine shakes fragile Easter truce |
- South Korea recovers first bodies from inside sunken ferry |
- Special Report - How the U.S. made its Putin problem worse
- Malaysian plane search in 44th day, sea bed scans could end in days |
- Prosecutors extend Korea ferry captain's detention as death toll mounts |