Albania police arrest refinery owner for assault
TIRANA Nov 5 (Reuters) - An Albanian court has ordererd the arrest of the owner of the country's only oil refinery on assault charges in connection with an attack on a journalist in a bar, police said on Thursday.
Rezart Taci, 38, who owns the refinery ARMO, gave himself up to police after a court ruled he should await trial in jail over the attack on the journalist Mero Baze.
"Police carried out the decision of the Tirana District Court that citizen Rezart Mustafa Taci should be 'arrested and sent to jail' on assault charges," police said in a statement.
Taci denied the charges. If proven guilty, he could be fined or sentenced to up to three years in jail.
The oil tycoon made headlines in the international media when he offered to buy Italy's Seria A soccer club Bologna, but backed out at the last moment.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Children's corpses reveal desperate attempts to escape Korean ferry |
- Australia, Malaysia vow to keep searching to solve plane mystery
- Russia says it will respond if Ukraine interests attacked |
- Search for MH370 reveals a military vulnerability for China
- Man United act to halt slide as power shifts back to Liverpool