Factbox - Top 10 rice exporting, importing countries
BANGKOK (Reuters) - Ample rice supplies from top exporters Thailand and Vietnam will ensure prices of Asia's main staple remain in check early this year, sparing at least one food item from record high prices that have raised fears of unrest.
While U.S. wheat and corn futures climbed around 50 percent in 2010 on adverse weather in key producing regions, the benchmark Thai rice dropped 13 percent during the year, with sufficient supplies to meet the global demand.
The top ten rice exporting countries are as follows.
All figures are in thousand metric tons.
The top ten rice importing countries are as follows.
Saudi Arabia 1,100
Cote d'Ivoire 860
South Africa 800
* January/December year
(Reporting by Naveen Thukral; Editing by Manash Goswami)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Merkel asks Putin to explain reports of Russian troops in Ukraine
- Breakthrough hopes dented as Ukraine accuses Russia of new incursion |
- China urges Japan to break from aggressive past after Abe honours war criminals
- Islamic State executes soldiers, takes hostages at Syria base - social media
- Business leaders urge Scots to vote against independence