Factbox - Top 10 rice exporting, importing countries
BANGKOK (Reuters) - Ample rice supplies from top exporters Thailand and Vietnam will ensure prices of Asia's main staple remain in check early this year, sparing at least one food item from record high prices that have raised fears of unrest.
While U.S. wheat and corn futures climbed around 50 percent in 2010 on adverse weather in key producing regions, the benchmark Thai rice dropped 13 percent during the year, with sufficient supplies to meet the global demand.
The top ten rice exporting countries are as follows.
All figures are in thousand metric tons.
The top ten rice importing countries are as follows.
Saudi Arabia 1,100
Cote d'Ivoire 860
South Africa 800
* January/December year
(Reporting by Naveen Thukral; Editing by Manash Goswami)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Obama and Castro shake hands, Zuma humiliated at Mandela memorial |
- 'Warp speed' risk for UK house prices but hiking rates off radar
- Boxing champ Klitschko faces ban on running for Ukraine presidency
- Boos, jeers humiliate South Africa's Zuma at Mandela memorial
- Tearful Thai PM urges protesters to take part in election |