U.S. urges citizens within 80 km of Japan plant leave
CAIRO (Reuters) - The United States on Wednesday recommended its citizens living within 80 km (50 miles) of the Fukushima nuclear power plant in Japan evacuate the area or take shelter indoors.
The U.S. Embassy in Tokyo issued the advice in a statement distributed to reporters accompanying Secretary of State Hillary Clinton on a trip to Egypt.
"We are recommending, as a precaution, that American citizens who live within 50 miles of the Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant evacuate the area or to take shelter indoors if safe evacuation is not practical," it said.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Wreckage of Air Algerie plane carrying 116 people found in Mali |
- Liberian man in Lagos being tested for Ebola
- Shelling of Gaza school kills at least 15; toll nears 800 |
- French warplanes search Mali desert for crashed Air Algerie plane |
- Britain's economy set, finally, to recover ground lost to crisis