U.S. urges citizens within 80 km of Japan plant leave
CAIRO (Reuters) - The United States on Wednesday recommended its citizens living within 80 km (50 miles) of the Fukushima nuclear power plant in Japan evacuate the area or take shelter indoors.
The U.S. Embassy in Tokyo issued the advice in a statement distributed to reporters accompanying Secretary of State Hillary Clinton on a trip to Egypt.
"We are recommending, as a precaution, that American citizens who live within 50 miles of the Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant evacuate the area or to take shelter indoors if safe evacuation is not practical," it said.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Putin rebuffs Obama as Ukraine crisis escalates |
- Crimea votes to join Russia, Obama orders sanctions |
- Britain says Scotland split would put Scottish pensions at risk
- Analysis - Qatar rift is pivotal test for disunited Gulf families
- Senior North Korean official reappears, belies reports of another purge