U.S. urges citizens within 80 km of Japan plant leave
CAIRO (Reuters) - The United States on Wednesday recommended its citizens living within 80 km (50 miles) of the Fukushima nuclear power plant in Japan evacuate the area or take shelter indoors.
The U.S. Embassy in Tokyo issued the advice in a statement distributed to reporters accompanying Secretary of State Hillary Clinton on a trip to Egypt.
"We are recommending, as a precaution, that American citizens who live within 50 miles of the Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant evacuate the area or to take shelter indoors if safe evacuation is not practical," it said.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- UPDATE 7-Tennis-Paris Masters men's singles round 3 results
- Japan shares soar, yen skids after BOJ stuns with new easing steps
- Ukraine, Russia, EU agree to natural gas supply deal
- Kurds' battle for Kobani unites a people divided by borders
- American detained in North Korea gets job back with Ohio city