Tennis-Mattek-Sands and Oudin earn U.S. Open wild cards
Aug 15 (Reuters) - American Fed Cup team mates Bethanie Mattek-Sands and Melanie Oudin have earned wild card berths into the main draw of the 2012 U.S. Open, the United States Tennis Association (USTA) said on Wednesday.
Mattek-Sands and 2009 U.S. Open quarter-finalist Oudin were among eight players to be handed spots in the final grand slam tournament of the year, which will take place at Flushing Meadow from Aug. 27-Sept. 9.
A former world number 30, Mattek-Sands will be competing in her 12th consecutive U.S. Open while the 20-year-old Oudin will return to a venue where she clinched the mixed doubles title in 2011 with Jack Sock.
Among those also gaining wild card entries were Australia's Casey Dellacqua, Kristina Mladenovic of France and 2012 National Collegiate Athletic (NCAA) singles champion Nicole Gibbs (Reporting by Mark Lamport-Stokes in Los Angeles; Editing by Simon Evans)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Canada's parliament attacked, soldier fatally shot nearby |
- Attack on parliament, killing of soldier stun Canada's capital |
- Hungary plans new tax on Internet traffic, public calls for rally
- UPDATE 1-Tennis-WTA Finals women's singles round robin red group results
- Some U.S. hospitals weigh withholding care to Ebola patients