Syria envoy Brahimi heads to Syria, plans to meet Assad
BEIRUT (Reuters) - International peace envoy Lakhdar Brahimi will head to Syria on Sunday and is expected to meet President Bashar al-Assad a day later, airport sources in Lebanon said.
Brahimi arrived in Beirut International Airport on Sunday afternoon from Cairo and would head to the Syrian capital Damascus by car, the sources said. Damascus airport has been almost completely shut down due to fighting nearby between rebels and Assad's forces.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Merkel asks Putin to explain reports of Russian troops in Ukraine
- Ukraine leader says Russian forces are in the country as key town falls
- Ukraine accuses Russia of bringing in troops
- Breakthrough hopes dented as Ukraine accuses Russia of new incursion |
- Business leaders urge Scots to vote against independence