Algeria kidnappers demand end to French attacks in Mali- ANI
NOUAKCHOTT Jan 16 (Reuters) - Al Qaeda-linked militants who attacked a gas field in Algeria on Wednesday have demanded an end to French military operations against Islamists in northern Mali in return for the safety of dozens of hostages, Mauritania's ANI news agency reported.
The statement sent to ANI by the group also said it was holding some 40 hostages. A spokesman for a group under the command of Mokhtar Belmokhtar, a veteran Saharan jihadist and smuggling kingping, had earlier said it was behind the hostage-taking.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- South Korea recovers first bodies from inside sunken ferry |
- Surrender talks set with separatists in Ukraine as standoff lasts into Easter |
- Malaysian plane search in 44th day, sea bed scans could end in days
- Special Report - How the U.S. made its Putin problem worse
- Prosecutors extend Korea ferry captain's detention as death toll mounts |