Arsenal clinch deal for left back Monreal
LONDON (Reuters) - Arsenal clinched a last-minute deal for Spanish international left back Nacho Monreal from Malaga on Thursday.
The 26-year-old has signed a long-term contract with the Gunners shortly before the transfer window closed, according to the Premier League club's website (www.arsenal.com).
Monreal, who has nine Spain caps, will strengthen manager Arsene Wenger's options in defence after Kieran Gibbs was injured against Liverpool on Wednesday.
Replacement left back Andre Santos has struggled this season, leading to Wenger moving for the experienced Monreal as Arsenal push for a top-four finish.
"We are delighted that Nacho Monreal has agreed to join us," Wenger said. "We have been monitoring him for some time now and are really pleased that we've been able to agree this move.
"Monreal is a strong left-sided defender with good experience at both club and international level.
"He is a technically gifted player, a good crosser in the final third and strong in the air."
Arsenal are sixth in the Premier League, four points behind the Champions League places.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- No Russia-Ukraine gas deal at EU talks; Moscow queries finances |
- Sweden gets two new sightings, as hunt for undersea intruder goes on
- UPDATE 1-Tennis-WTA Finals women's singles round robin white group results
- Hungary plans to impose new tax on Internet traffic
- Special Report - Traffickers use abductions, prison ships to feed Asian slave trade