South Africa's ANC Women's League dismayed by Pistorius bail
JOHANNESBURG (Reuters) - The Women's League of South Africa's ruling ANC party said it was disappointed that a court on Friday granted Paralympic star Oscar Pistorius bail in a case where he faces charges of murdering his girlfriend.
"For now we will abide by the rules of law in this country but honestly we are saddened because women are being killed in this country," said ANC Women's league spokeswoman Jacqui Mofokeng.
The league has staged protests outside the Pretoria court during the week-long bail hearing, saying Pistorius has been receiving preferential treatment because of his fame and holding banners reading "Rot in jail."
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- UK major threw laptop with sensitive Iraq photos from ferry
- Dementia epidemic looms with 135 million sufferers seen by 2050
- Exclusive: Son of former Chinese security chief helping with graft probe - sources
- Special Report - Thailand secretly dumps Myanmar refugees into trafficking rings
- UPDATE 2-Iran, Iraq put OPEC on notice of big oil increases