South Africa's ANC Women's League dismayed by Pistorius bail
JOHANNESBURG (Reuters) - The Women's League of South Africa's ruling ANC party said it was disappointed that a court on Friday granted Paralympic star Oscar Pistorius bail in a case where he faces charges of murdering his girlfriend.
"For now we will abide by the rules of law in this country but honestly we are saddened because women are being killed in this country," said ANC Women's league spokeswoman Jacqui Mofokeng.
The league has staged protests outside the Pretoria court during the week-long bail hearing, saying Pistorius has been receiving preferential treatment because of his fame and holding banners reading "Rot in jail."
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Taxis, planes and viruses: How deadly Ebola can spread
- Hamas defends Gaza ambush blamed for ending ceasefire |
- Campaign for an independent Scotland stalls before historic vote
- Experts recover human remains at Ukraine crash site despite new fighting
- NATO must change to better repel Russian threat - Cameron