South Africa's ANC Women's League dismayed by Pistorius bail
JOHANNESBURG (Reuters) - The Women's League of South Africa's ruling ANC party said it was disappointed that a court on Friday granted Paralympic star Oscar Pistorius bail in a case where he faces charges of murdering his girlfriend.
"For now we will abide by the rules of law in this country but honestly we are saddened because women are being killed in this country," said ANC Women's league spokeswoman Jacqui Mofokeng.
The league has staged protests outside the Pretoria court during the week-long bail hearing, saying Pistorius has been receiving preferential treatment because of his fame and holding banners reading "Rot in jail."
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Swedish 'Cold War' thriller exposes Baltic Sea nerves over Russia
- Bank of England suspends real-time payments system
- FTSE slips back, weighed down by oil stocks
- Sweden says credible reports of foreign submarine in its waters
- Turkey to let Iraqi Kurds reinforce Kobani as U.S. drops arms to defenders |