Arrested IPL player granted bail to attend his wedding
NEW DELHI (Reuters) - Indian cricketer Ankeet Chavan, arrested on suspicion of spot-fixing earlier this month, has been granted conditional bail so he can get married on Sunday, his lawyer said.
A Delhi court on Thursday granted the 27-year-old bail until June 6, Kishore Gaekwad told Reuters.
The court said there was no threat of the player tampering with evidence in the spot-fixing scandal.
Chavan, former India test bowler Shanthakumaran Sreesanth and a third Rajasthan Royals player, Ajit Chandila, were arrested on May 16 for allegedly taking money to concede a pre-determined number of runs in Indian Premier League (IPL) matches.
The trio have denied any wrongdoing.
(Reporting by Sichitra Mohanty, Writing by Amlan Chakraborty, editing by Justin Palmer)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- UK troops in largest armoured deployment in Eastern Europe for six years
- France's Sarkozy wants EU to lose half its powers
- India approves $2.6 billion mounted gun purchase - official
- West not expected to demand Iran atom bomb 'mea culpa' in deal
- Putin says Russia is not isolated over Ukraine crisis - TASS