Tennis-Errani serves up double-bagel to advance at U.S. Open
NEW YORK Aug 27 (Reuters) - Italy's Sara Errani doled out a rare double-bagel win at the U.S. Open on Tuesday, thrashing Australia's Olivia Rogowska 6-0 6-0 in under an hour.
Errani, the women's fourth seed for the year's final grand slam, showed no mercy against her 151st-ranked opponent, who only got into the draw as a lucky loser replacement following the withdrawal of Japan's Ayumi Morita.
Rogowska won just 23 points in the entire match and made a whopping 38 unforced errors before Errani finished her off in just 51 minutes.
Errani, who made the semi-finals at last year's U.S. Open and the French Open final the same season, will play her countrywoman Flavia Pennetta in the second round. (Reporting by Julian Linden; Editing by Frank Pingue)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Tesco accounting black hole deepens, chairman to step down |
- Germany's Merkel deals blow to UK on EU migration reform - Sunday Times
- Iraqi security forces and Kurds gain ground against Islamic State
- UPDATE 3-Tennis-WTA Finals women's singles round robin results
- 'We won't pay,' furious Cameron tells EU over surprise bill |