Tennis-Li through to last 16 after beating Robson
NEW YORK Aug 30 (Reuters) - China's Li Na became the first player to reach the round of 16 at this year's U.S. Open when she defeated Britain's Laura Robson 6-2 7-5 on Friday.
Li, seeded fifth after reaching the Australian Open final earlier this season, needed 81 minutes to avenge her third round loss to Robson at Flushing Meadows last year.
Robson contributed to her own downfall by committing 30 unforced errors, 15 in each set, while Li was rewarded for her aggressive approach, hitting 23 winners.
Li's next opponent will be either Serbia's Jelena Jankovic or Japan's Kurumi Nara. (Reporting by Julian Linden; Editing by Frank Pingue)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Tesco accounting black hole deepens, chairman to step down |
- Hungary plans new tax on Internet traffic, public calls for rally
- UKIP on course to win second parliamentary seat - poll
- Some U.S. hospitals weigh withholding care to Ebola patients
- Canada's Harper vows tighter security after Parliament attack |