Tennis-Li through to last 16 after beating Robson
NEW YORK Aug 30 (Reuters) - China's Li Na became the first player to reach the round of 16 at this year's U.S. Open when she defeated Britain's Laura Robson 6-2 7-5 on Friday.
Li, seeded fifth after reaching the Australian Open final earlier this season, needed 81 minutes to avenge her third round loss to Robson at Flushing Meadows last year.
Robson contributed to her own downfall by committing 30 unforced errors, 15 in each set, while Li was rewarded for her aggressive approach, hitting 23 winners.
Li's next opponent will be either Serbia's Jelena Jankovic or Japan's Kurumi Nara. (Reporting by Julian Linden; Editing by Frank Pingue)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Ukraine says EU to be guarantor in any Russia gas deal
- Rebound in FTSE halted by drop in BT and commodity stocks
- Maine nurse fights Ebola quarantine, says will not be bullied |
- Shell outpaces peers with profit growth, keeps spending
- Barclays sets aside 500 million pounds for FX fines as profits rise |