Tennis-Li through to last 16 after beating Robson
NEW YORK Aug 30 (Reuters) - China's Li Na became the first player to reach the round of 16 at this year's U.S. Open when she defeated Britain's Laura Robson 6-2 7-5 on Friday.
Li, seeded fifth after reaching the Australian Open final earlier this season, needed 81 minutes to avenge her third round loss to Robson at Flushing Meadows last year.
Robson contributed to her own downfall by committing 30 unforced errors, 15 in each set, while Li was rewarded for her aggressive approach, hitting 23 winners.
Li's next opponent will be either Serbia's Jelena Jankovic or Japan's Kurumi Nara. (Reporting by Julian Linden; Editing by Frank Pingue)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Scots spurn independence, vote to stay in the United Kingdom
- Scots independence polls close, UK's future in the balance |
- Factbox - Scotland's independence vote: How will the results come?
- Support for Scottish independence at 46 percent - YouGov poll
- Microsoft lays off 2,100, axes Silicon Valley research