Ukraine says more than 30 separatists killed in Slaviansk fighting
KIEV (Reuters) - More than 30 pro-Russian separatists were killed in fighting near the rebel stronghold of Slaviansk in eastern Ukraine, Interior Minister Arsen Avakov said on Tuesday.
"We estimate that the terrorists lost more than 30 people," Avakov wrote on Facebook.
Pro-Russian rebels ambushed Ukrainian forces on Monday, triggering fierce fighting near Slaviansk. Avakov said four Ukrainian servicemen had been killed and 20 wounded.
The pro-Russian rebels said on Monday four of their number had been killed in the fighting.
(Reporting by Pavel Polityuk, Writing by Elizabeth Piper, Editing by Timothy Heritage)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Merkel asks Putin to explain reports of Russian troops in Ukraine
- Breakthrough hopes dented as Ukraine accuses Russia of new incursion |
- China urges Japan to break from aggressive past after Abe honours war criminals
- Islamic State executes soldiers, takes hostages at Syria base - social media
- Business leaders urge Scots to vote against independence