Liberty House bids to buy iron ore assets in Minnesota
British metals group Liberty House is bidding to buy U.S.-based Mesabi Metallics Co LLC and ESML Holding Inc, as it seeks to boost its presence in North America.
Nestle (NESN.S) believes its Health Science unit will eventually generate annual sales of 10 billion Swiss francs (7.95 billion pounds). It already has sales of more than 2 billion francs.
Here are some of its recent deals:
- Sept 2016: Staged acquisition of Phagenesis, a medical device company with a treatment for dysphagia, the inability to swallow safely.
- May 2016: Licensing deal worth up to 100 million euros with DBV Technologies (DBV.PA) to develop and market an experimental milk allergy test for infants.
- April 2016: Participated in $16.5 million financing round by Enterome Bioscience for an experimental microbiome-based therapy for inflammatory bowel diseases.
- Feb 2016: Investment of $42.5 million in Pronutria Biosciences, now Axcella Health, a specialist in developing medicines for disease caused by amino acid imbalance.
- Jan 2016: Deal with Seres Therapeutics (MCRB.O) for its microbiome-based treatments for C. difficile infection and inflammatory bowel disease, potentially worth over $1.9 billion.
- Sept 2015: Licensing agreement with Lipid Therapeutics for exclusive worldwide rights, except for Europe and Australia, to its experimental medicine for ulcerative colitis.
- May 2015: Partnership with Flagship Ventures and investment in the firm's Ventures Fund V, a $537 million fund that has interests in nutritional therapy.
- Feb 2013: Acquisition of Pamlab, maker of medical food products for patients with mild cognitive impairment, depression and diabetic peripheral neuropathy.
- Nov 2012: Joint venture with Chi-Med (HCM.L) to develop and sell botanical gastrointestinal drugs and nutritional products through access to its library of Chinese medicine.
- July 2012: Purchase of stake in Accera, a supplier of medical foods for patients with neurodegenerative disorders, including its Axona milkshake for Alzheimer's patients.
- July 2011: Bought stake in Vital Foods, a developer of kiwifruit-based products for gastrointestinal conditions.
- May 2011: Acquisition of Prometheus Laboratories, a specialist in gastrointestinal drugs and diagnostics, focusing on conditions such as Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis.
- August 2010: Acquisition of Vitaflo, provider of nutritional products for patients with genetic metabolic disorders requiring highly restrictive diets.
(Reporting by Martinne Geller and Ben Hirschler in London; editing by Anna Willard)
FRANKFURT European Central Bank policymakers are breathing a sigh of relief after the first round of France's presidential vote put a pro-euro centrist in pole position, but they are not likely to change their policy stance until June.