NEW YORK, Dec 6 - A federal judge on Friday rejected a last-ditch effort by consumers and travel agents to stop American Airlines and US Airways from merging next week, a move they fear would drive prices up and service down and make planes more crowded.
DETROIT, Dec 6 - The U.S. judge managing Detroit's bankruptcy on Friday gave the city the go-ahead to move forward with a financing plan to mend broken street lights.
Dec 6 - The fight over defunct Nortel Networks' $7.5 billion in cash will be decided in joint U.S.-Canadian court hearings and not in arbitration, a U.S. appeals court ruled on Friday.
NEW YORK, Dec 6 - A federal judge on Friday rejected a last-ditch effort by consumers and travel agents to stop American Airlines and US Airways from merging next week, which they fear would drive prices up and service down and make planes more crowded.
Dec 6 - * U.S. judge rejects effort by consumer group to block merger of AMR Corp
Dec 6 - The 150-page court ruling finding Detroit eligible for bankruptcy focused on the city's soaring crime, crushing debt - and the late Anna Nicole Smith.
RIO DE JANEIRO, Dec. 6 - A Brazilian state judge suspended a plan to unify the bankruptcy protection petitions of tycoon Eike Batista's oil producer and shipbuilder, saying the joint petition could hurt the interests of a creditor that opposed the plan.
DETROIT, Dec 6 - A Detroit-area entrepreneur has offered to donate $5 million to help protect the collection of the Detroit Institute of Arts from being sold or otherwise monetized as part of Detroit's bankruptcy, the Detroit Free Press reported on Friday.
LONDON, Dec 6 (IFR) - Bank of Ireland took a giant leap forward in its plans to return to mainstream banking this week when it successfully repaid EUR1.8bn of state aid, breaking free from the clutches of a government that supported it through the financial crisis.
(Rewrites throughout, adds importance of field to bankruptcy filing, field output, financial detail, background, share prices)
- M&A: Oxford Instruments increases Andor offer
- IPOs: M&A revival only hope for another record high-yield year
- Private Capital: REFILE-Sanitec IPO to be priced at 60-63 SEK/share - sources
- Hedge Funds: Britain to close hedge fund tax loopholes
- Regulatory News: AT&T aims to sidestep shareholder request on surveillance data
- South Africa mourns Mandela, will bury him on December 15 |
- Cuba drops veto at WTO meet, enabling global trade deal - sources
- French launch Central African Republic mission but deaths mount
- U.N., U.S. call for investigations into Thai trafficking of Rohingya
- Yemen says regains ministry compound, 12 militants killed |
- Osborne will need bigger axe to meet budget goal - IFS
- Ex-Barclays boss Diamond set be called in court case
- Thai protest leader vows final push to "victory" on Monday
- France launches mission to halt Central African Republic violence
- Six months to go, momentum builds ahead of EU parliament vote