BRUSSELS European Union leaders welcomed a proposal by British Prime Minister Theresa May aimed at unblocking Brexit talks, but said concessions to ease the fears of EU citizens living in Britain were not enough.
MADRID Spain's central government said on Thursday it would suspend Catalonia's autonomy and impose direct rule after the region's leader threatened to go ahead with a formal declaration of independence if Madrid refused to hold talks. | Video
LONDON Britain's parliament will not discuss the key European Union withdrawal bill next week, the leader of the lower House of Commons, Andrea Leadsom, said on Thursday, amid concerns the government is struggling to manage divisions over its contents.
BP Chairman Carl-Henric Svanberg has informed the oil company's board of his intention to retire, it said on Thursday.
BERLIN The insolvent German carrier Air Berlin and EasyJet are expected to announce a deal on Friday for the purchase of up to 25 A320 aircraft, German media reported on Thursday.
LONDON British retail sales slowed unexpectedly sharply in September, dragging quarterly growth to its weakest annual rate since 2013 and suggesting consumer demand remains uncertain as the Bank of England nears its first rate rise in a decade.
LONDON A written agreement to restore power-sharing in Northern Ireland must be forthcoming by Oct. 30 or else Britain's parliament will have to legislate a budget for the province, the minister for the region said on Thursday.
BRUSSELS Leaders of four eurosceptic governments in the east of the European Union sat down for a nearly three-hour dinner with the head of the bloc's executive in an effort to narrow their differences on issues from migration to labour rules.
BRUSSELS European Union leaders will on Thursday reaffirm their full commitment to the 2015 nuclear deal between Iran and world powers, regardless of whether an increasingly critical United States pulls out.
Former President Barack Obama returns to the campaign trail on Thursday for the first time since he left the White House, venturing out to support Democrats in two governor's races that could offer a clue about the national mood before next year's midterm elections.
- Financial: CORRECTED-INSIGHT-Damages for Grenfell fire victims may total just $5 mln - Reuters analysis
- Technology: BRIEF-PolarityTE multiple value analysis committees have approved Skinte for use at their respective medical institutions
- Healthcare: Trump names Washington insiders to head antitrust, consumer protection agency
- Consumer: UPDATE 2-Nissan to suspend domestic production of cars for Japan market
- Energy: UPDATE 1-South Africa commits to shale gas despite adverse court ruling
- Industrials: BRIEF-Acacia Mining updates on discussions in Tanzania
- M&A: UPDATE 3-Unilever sales fall short as competition bites big brands
- Bankruptcy: BRIEF-Auden: new management board says FY forecast from April unreachable
- IPOs: Strong private equity interest in German Alloheim sale -sources
- Private Capital: BRIEF-Blue Medora says it has raised $8 million in equity financing
- Hedge Funds: Cryptocurrency hedge funds top 100 for first time