TRIPOLI/EISENSTADT, Austria - Libya on Friday recovered the bodies of 82 migrants washed ashore after their overcrowded boat sank on its way to Europe while Austria said 71 refugees including a baby girl had been found dead in the back of an abandoned freezer truck.
ATHENS - Former Greek Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras' leftist Syriza will emerge as the biggest party after next month's election but without the sizeable margin it was hoping for, the first major opinion poll since he resigned last week showed.
LONDON - A London-based day-trader accused by the United States of market manipulation that contributed to the Wall Street "flash crash" in 2010, failed to persuade a court on Friday to postpone his extradition hearing.
BRUSSELS - Confidence in the euro zone's economy edged up to a new four-year high in August as rising domestic demand marginally outweighed a worsening view of export prospects and the mood brightened particularly in France and Spain.
LONDON - Britain's economy gathered speed in the second three months of 2015, boosted by a jump in exports and business investment in the latest sign that the recovery is broadening out.
LONDON - HSBC reported a computer glitch on Friday which it said prevented some of its British business customers from making payments, leaving thousands of workers without wages ahead of a three-day weekend.
VATICAN CITY - A Catholic former archbishop accused of child sex offences was found dead on Friday, the Vatican said, a month after he was hospitalised on the eve of his trial.
LONDON - U.S. private equity firm Carlyle is in advanced talks about buying Innovation Group for 40 pence a share in cash, valuing its equity at almost 500 million pounds ($769 million), the British software company said on Friday.
LONDON, Aug 28 - - British consumer morale unexpectedly rose in August to match June's 15-year high, as low inflation and a recent pick-up in wages made Britons more upbeat about their financial prospects.
SEOUL - Beset by crisis, scandal and a sluggish economy in the first half of her single five-year term, South Korean President Park Geun-hye's approval rating soared in a poll released on Friday after a pact with North Korea brought back the rivals from the brink of conflict.
- Financial: YOUR PRACTICE-Athletes' habits die hard in new lives as financial pros
- Technology: PRESS DIGEST- Canada - Aug 28
- Healthcare: UPDATE 3-FDA approves Amgen's cholesterol-lowering drug Repatha
- Consumer: EU clears DTZ's purchase of Cushman & Wakefield
- Energy: RPT-Appalachian coal country wants Republican nod for federal aid
- Industrials: BRIEF-Alent gets U.S. antitrust clearance for Platform Specialty deal
- M&A: Carlyle in talks on $770 mln takeover of UK's Innovation Group
- Bankruptcy: BRIEF-Global PVQ says mechanics of further distribution of proceeds determined
- IPOs: UPDATE 1-French payments firm Ingenico submits Worldpay bid - sources
- Private Capital: BRIEF-EQT Infrastructure II acquires Mongstad Supply Base
- Hedge Funds: Aberdeen raises $500 million in liquid hedge fund